For generations, JAPANESE STYLE has been defined by a single garment – the KIMONO. once the domain of the rich and powerful, nowadays anyone can savour the experience of wearing Japan’s national dress.
One very refreshing aspect of Japanese life I have witnessed since moving to Kyoto, is the fact that young Japanese men & women have embraced the wearing of the traditional “Kimono” again. Not so long ago this was regarded as very “un-hip”, but the Kimono is back, and in a big way.And not just for the Japanese. I have had countless requests for the best kimono rental shops from many of our in-house guests, (both male & female), wanting to capture the essence and feel of wearing such a unique costume during their stay in Kyoto.After accompanying several groups to the usual rental shops in and around the Gion area, my realisation was that the kimono on offer were far from genuine. To my disappointment I found they were more often than not made from cotton or polyester, with splashes of bold colours to hide any imperfections. Given that I live in the centre of THE most famous textile area in Japan, (Nishijin), it wasn’t long before several local ladies heard my concerns and collectively came to my rescue. All of these ladies were kimono experts. All have worn Kimino since childhood, and all have the same pride and passion about traditional "Kimono". And what a choice..... all have a fine selection of kimono faithfully handed down from grandmothers & mothers. These accommplished women are only too happy to dress foreign visitors in their homes and talk about everything “kimono”.Dressing and walking in a kimono is not for the faint-hearted and should never be attempted alone. Even for the majority of Japanese (boys & girls), it is such a rare & special experience. Whether you are a couple on a honeymoon, singles travelling together, or just plain curious, there is nowhere more appropriate than Kyoto for snapping that perfect shot that will evoke special memories of your visit to this extraodinary city.
DANNY MATHESON & KAZUO IKEDA
(Owner/Operators – Jam Jar Lounge & Inn)
- English speaking professional dresser
- Guided tour through Kyoto’s oldest Geisha district
- Photo opportunity
- Choice of genuine silk kimono
- Small Groups
Visitors, (both male & female), who wish to experience the intricacies and history of traditional Japanese Kimono dressing, before walking through local neigbourhood shrines and temples.
WHAT WE WILL DO
After meeting at Jam Jar Lounge & Inn, we will make our way to a local neighbourhood house for introductions before the commencement of your fitting.
After a short consultation & discussion with your dresser regarding various skin types, makeup, hairstyles etc, it’s time to choose your Kimono. Your dresser will guide you through the various choices until you both agree on the perfect Kimono and accessories. Of course, as you would imagine, to complete the ensemble the appropriate hairstyle must be perfected and adorned with the proper seasonal ornaments. Securing a kimono can often take up to 30 minutes for females, and 20 minutes for males. During this time there is ample opportunity to engage with your dresser to learn about the different styles of kimono and their histories.
When fully dressed, and after undertaking a trail walk in traditional “zori” shoes, it’s now time to go public and mingle with the locals. Accompanied by your dresser, you will take a short walk from her house to the oldest Geisha district in Kyoto. This district is called “Kamishichiken”. It is here in Kamishichiken, with its ancient wooden buildings and cobbled laneways, that you will find the perfect background to capture that perfect shot to add to your memories of Japan.
From Kamishichiken you will have free time to enjoy wandering by yourself through the various shrines and temples dotted around this historic neighbourhood. Enjoying a Japanese lunch or sipping matcha tea at an intimate Japanese teahouse is also a favourite option before it’s time to return to your dressers house for the dis-robing ceremony and final goodbyes.
- English speaking professional Kimono dresser
- Your choice of Kimono
- ObiTabi Shoes (Zori)
- Tabi Socks
- All undergarments
- Hair ornaments
- Accessory Bag
- Guided tour of Kyoto’s oldest Geisha district
- Various photo opportunities
- Transport to/from meeting point for guests not staying at Jam Jar Lounge & Inn
- Make up
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips & Gratuities
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
Because of the personal nature of make-up, it is not included in this experience.
Each dressing & undressing session requires approximately 30 minutes, plus another 30 minutes per person for hair styling.
A moderate amount of walking will be involved, (approximately 2,000 steps). Although we will be walking at a leisurely pace, there may be some unavoidable steps to navigate.
TOUR STARTING & ENDING POINT
Jam Jar Lounge & Inn
- Tours must be paid in full prior to the commencement date
- Minimum x 1 / Maximum x 6 guests
- PLEASE NOTE - Solo travellers are welcome to contact us directly via our website to check single availability or make a booking.
- Cancellation fees will apply
- Cancellations recieved up to 7 x days in advance of the scheduled "Experience" date, will incurr no cancellation fee - (Fully Refundable).
- Cancellations recieved between 3 and 6 days of the scheduled "Experience" date, will incurr a 50% cancellation fee.
- Cancellations recieved within 2 days of the scheduled "Experience" date, will incurr a 100% cancellation fee - (Non-Refundable)
- In some rare cases, the tour may be cancelled due to weather or other circumstances beyond our control. In the unlikely event that the tour is cancelled by us, you may choose between a rescheduling of the tour, a full refund of all monies paid OR a credit towards an alternative tour. If you choose to accept a credit, the difference in the cost of the alternative tour will be refunded or paid by you as applicable.
JAPANESE SILK KIMONO DRESSING EXPERIENCE
10:00am – 1:00pm (3 x hours)
1/2 Day Tour
Minimum x 1 / Maximum x 6 guests. (Larger groups available upon request)
Price is inclusive of all taxes & service charges. No more to pay!
PLEASE CONTACT US DIRECTLY VIA EMAIL TO REQUEST AVAILABILITY
This endpoint has been retired