Experience the less touristic side of historic ARASHIYAMA, including a secret buddhist temple, a spectacular Japanese garden, the world famous bamboo forest as well as a picnic lunch.
“Recently I’m hearing the same question from many of our guests: “Is it really worth a visit to Arashiyama? I really want to experience the Bamboo Forest but I hear the crowds are overwhelming”. I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t true, but the simple answer is yes. Yes, it is worth a visit to Arashiyama, but only if you do it the right way”.
- Early morning visit to the Bamboo Forest (World Heritage Site)
- Photo opportunity at Tenryu-ji Temple Garden (World Heritage Site)
- Wander through the private Japanese Gardens of Denjiro Okochi
- Enjoy freshly brewed Match Tea with traditional sweet
- Take in a view of Kyoto from this secret mountainside Buddhist Temple
- Relax with a riverside picnic lunch
Walkers, photographers and garden lovers who prefer sights off the tourist trail
WHAT WE WILL DO:
Arashiyama is so much more than the sea of selfie-sticks making their way through the famous bamboo forest.
Although we will be paying homage to this particular UNESCO World Heritage sight, it will not be the star of our show, but rather it’s lesser known neighbour.
Join me as we wander through the exquisite private garden & tea houses of the Okochi Sanso Villa. Created by national icon & silent movie star Denichi Okochi in the 1930’s, his completed vision was only opened to the public upon his death in 1962, and is often overlooked by visitors on the usual tourist trail.
After a freshly brewed cup of local “matcha” tea, we’ll cross the Katsura River, before ascending to a hidden Buddhist temple perched precariously on the side of a mountain. From here we can enjoy unequaled views of the river and Kyoto city. Ringing the temple bell three times for luck is not only allowed, but encouraged!
Time for lunch. Should we make our way back to the river, or ask our monk nicely if we can take in his peaceful surrounds while we rest and enjoy our delicious bento box.
After lunch we will head east, strolling along the Katsura river before stopping to take photos on the famous Togetsu-kyo Bridge.
After a short rest-stop and a wander through the Kimono Forest, we will board our train back to Kitano-Hakabaicho, where your guide will be happy to offer advice regarding your onward journey.
“Arashiyama cannot be rushed! Yes, the tour starts earlier than most at 8:00am. But that’s a small price to pay for having a World Heritage site to yourself. With this tour we feel we have achieved the right balance, without compromising the expectations of our guests. I hope we have the opportunity of experiencing our secret Arashiyama together”. Thank you.
DANNY MATHESON & KAZUO IKEDA
(Owner/Operators – Jam Jar Lounge & Inn)
- English speaking guide
- Small Group (Max 5)
- Return train tickets to Arashiyama
- Entry fee for Okochi Sanso Villa
- “Matcha” Morning Tea
- Entry fee for Senkoji Temple
- Entry fee for Tenryu-ji Temple (Garden only)
- Picnic or Restaurant Lunch (weather dependant)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Additional food & beverages not outlined above
- Transportation to/from the meeting point
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO:
A moderate amount of walking will be involved (approximately 10,000 steps). Although we will be walking at a leisurely pace, there are quite a few steps leading up the mountain to the Senkoji Temple, I would suggest moderate fitness would be required (6/10). Please ensure you have sturdy comfortable walking shoes & water.
Vegetarian options are available for lunch but should be advised upon booking.
Any existing dietary requirements and/or food allergies must also be advised when making your booking. In the event of rain a restaurant lunch will be provided.
Kitano Hakubaicho Station
Bakurocho, Kamigyo Ward, Kyoto 602-8386
- Jam Jar Lounges “in-house” guests will have the option of accommpanying our guide from your accommodation
10,500 Yen Per/Person (NO MORE TO PAY! Inclusive of all Taxes & Service Charges)
MAKING A BOOKING:
This tour is particularly popular form mid-October to Mid-November when the Autumn (Fall) colours are at their best.
Minimum x 2 / Maximum x 5 guests
For availability, please contact us using the messaging facility below. We will endeavour to reply to your enquiry within 24 hours.
Confirmation will be received at time of booking (unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability).
- If you cancel at least 7 days in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.